This week is all about evolving and finding your inspiration. It’s funny how when you get to where you’ve always dreamed of being you begin to see life in a totally new perspective. I am truly loving every moment of this new journey of mine and can’t stop, won’t stop finding a glass and filling it up with my favourite sips, cheering it high to the clouds above for the life I have been so blessed with. So let’s do this together… Grab a glass, fill it with your favourite sip mine being this Cinnamon Vanilla Homemade Almond Milk (but wine is ok too!) and lets cheers to all the good in our lives and all that is yet be.
Many of you know I was unable to enjoy nuts of any kind for about 6 years as I developed a severe nut allergy in my early twenties with reactions varying depending on which nut I orally ingested. It wasn’t something I was used to as I had never reacted to nuts prior to being 23 years old and trial mixes, granola’s and raw nuts of any kind were my go-to favourite snack any time of day.
I guess all of my wishes and prayers were answered because about a month or so ago I had a specialist appointment to be re-tested and my results were clear as a blue sky for any nut reaction. YAHOO!
Homemade Nut Milk was one of my first things I wanted so badly to try out and I was amazed at how easy and delicious the outcome was.
Organic raw almonds are loaded with antioxidants, raw almonds contain healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E. The health benefits of almonds are well document and include lower blood sugar levels, reduced blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels. I always buy my almonds and other nuts raw and organic and usually buy them in bulk at Bulk Barn.
So with that said, First step of making homemade almond milk is:
- Soak 1 cup almonds in 3 cups filtered water and let soak for minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
Next you want to,
- Strain almonds in coriander or sieve and rinse thoroughly, discarding the water that was previously soaked with almonds.
This next step is optional and honestly I skip it! It isn’t necessary but will result in a creamier consistency in the end
** (optional), peel almonds. (pinch almond between two fingers and squeeze. The almond should pop right out, freeing itself of its skin).
If you don’t want to peel almonds skip right to this step!:
- Add almonds to high-powered blender along with 3-4 cups fresh filtered water. Blend on high for 2 minutes. *The more water you add, the thinner consistency it will be.
- Using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth, strain almond milk into a large bowl or large measuring cup (as photographed).
- Separate the liquid from the pulp. Squeeze the nut milk bag and let out all of the liquid from the pulp. You will be left with fresh almond milk and a side of almond pulp in your nut milk bag.
- Pour the fresh almond milk back into the blender with seasonings/spices of choice.
For this recipe I used 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extra and a pinch of good sea salt.
Blend on high for another minute and watch the magic happen before your eyes!
Pour your CINNAMON VANILLA HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK into a large mason jar or glass container with a tight fitting lid.
With absolutely no extra preservatives this homemade milk will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days! Enjoy your creamy, lightly sweetened, cinnamon flavoured Cinnamon Vanilla Homemade Almond Milk in your morning coffee, my Creamy Cinnamon & Honey Steel-Cut Oats, my Puffed Grain and Oat Cereal, or just as is!
Happy Weekend Friends!