ENTER PEACH SEASON……… :):):) and freshly baked peach crisp. WOW! I think i just died and went straight to heaven! If you could only smell the aroma of my kitchen right now… insane!! Of all the crisps/crumbles and cobblers in the world I have to say that the taste of locally grown Niagara peaches transformed into a delicious crisp with just a few simple, healthy ingredients is my all-time FAVOURITE summer dessert. No need for further explanation, just taste it with your eyes.
My love for peaches started back in my good-old childhood days at my Nonna’s house. My sister and I would spend an entire afternoon underneath there large peach tree playing “house” while my grandma was inside cooking up one of her famous home-cooked Italian meals for us to enjoy. Her and my Nonno (grand-father) would call us in just before it was ready and we would always beg one of them to get us down a few peaches from the tree. I will never forget how fuzzy, sweet, and tasty they were and how much I looked forward to every single one they got down for us! It was almost like we had won a prize as we would hoot and holler after each one was placed in our hands. Its amazing how a tree can make such wonderful memories and how even when your a young child you truly appreciate the simple gifts of nature alone.
Deciding to make this crisp today I honestly wasn’t entirely sure how much to make. However, the result to my equation quickly calculated itself being as it is Sunday + family dinner at my parents + 3 grown men + with an appetite of an army = serving size TRIPLED 🙂 So without further ado I got out these staple pantry items and my heavy duty cast iron skillet and created a healthy, flavourful, “I’ll have another” peachy crisp! Using BOB’s Spelt flour, this recipe is not gluten-free however can be easily changed replacing spelt flour with Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour ( like this one ) or really any flour of choice as it is such a small amount and so therefore is not too fussy. I also pulled out Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 100% pure maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, BOB’s Gluten-Free Rolled Oats, and finally Organic Coconut Palm Sugar by Wholesome!
This is where your good old-fashioned cast iron ware comes into play and is definitely needed for this specific recipe. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet and are not familiar with the amazing benefits of cooking and baking with it, listen here…
According to Huffington Post there are numerous PRO’s to owning and cooking with cast iron ware.
- “Not only are cast iron pots and pans cheap and versatile, but they will last for generations.”
- “Cast iron cookware retains heat — that is, they stay hotter — much better than other similarly sized pots and pans. So, if you decide to serve a dish in the skillet itself, your food will likely remain warm for the entire meal.”
- “If you are iron deficient, cook with cast iron pots and pans to boost your iron intake. They leach iron into your food and help provide the 18 mg of iron adult women need daily.”
- “Because cast iron cookware is made from the same base material that builds engine blocks, they are guaranteed to last a very, very long time. In fact, the more you cook with it, the better (and more seasoned) it gets.”
- “You can use cast iron cookware for almost any cooking task. Depending on your mood, you can use it to sauté mushrooms, sear steaks, roast chicken, braise briskets, deep fry potatoes and even bake cakes.”
So if you don’t have one already … GO NOW!
To make the crisp its REALLY simple. Hence why this recipe starts with the two words “Fool Proof”!
First combine the spelt flour (or flour of choice), oats and coconut sugar in a medium-large bowl until well-combined. Adding in the melted coconut oil and stir until the mixture is crumbly and “sand-like”.
Make the filling by placing the sliced peaches (1 peach per serving), pure maple syrup, cinnamon and pure vanilla in a large bowl and mix well. Take 3 tablespoons (for this recipe of 6 servings) of the topping mixture and add to the peach mixture. Stir until combined and pour into greased skillet.
Finally sprinkle the rest of the topping mixture on top and place in the oven at 400 degrees for 32-35minutes or until bubbling and oats turn golden brown. Serve with SO DELICIOUS Dairy-Free Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and extra sliced peaches. (don’t wait as long as I did to eat it though as you can see 5 mins went by and my ice-cream turned into soup!)
Totally “Fool Proof” and made in under an hour…….. You can thank me later 🙂
(vegan) (gluten-free) (dairy-free)